Friday, March 6, 2009

Meditationes Sacrae

I have been reading through Johann Gerhard's Sacred Meditations during Lent and I'm blown away. Never before I have I met such rich theology in such thoroughly devotional material. Here is a pdf of the book if you desire to read a few of the mediations. I highly recommend it.

From "A Mediation on the Name of Jesus":
The original sin propagated within me damns me. You, however, are Jesus for me. My conception in sin damns me, yet you are Jesus for me. My formation in sin and my placement under the curse damns me, yet you are my Savior. My corruption from birth damns me, yet you are my deliverance. The sins of my youth damn me, yet you are my Jesus. The entire course of my life, stained with serious sins, damns me, yet you remain my Jesus. The death that ought to be imposed on me for my sins and tremendous guilt damns me, yet you are my Savior. The most severe sentence of the Last Judgment damns me, yet you are my Jesus.

In me is sin, reprobation, damnation. In Your name is righteousness, election, salvation. But I have been baptized in your name. In your name I believe. In your name I die. In your name I am reborn. And in your name I will appear in the Judgment. Everything is prepared for us in this name and the image of the treasure has been enclosed. How much good departs from these things when I distrust you! Let it please you to remove this unbelief from me. In your very name I pray, O good Jesus, that you do not damn me—me whom you desire to save from the debt incurred by my guilt and unbelief with your precious merits and salvific name.

No comments:

Post a Comment