Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A alien world

The new term has started. Busy times ahead.
Thunderstorms today. I must remember my umbrella. ella. ella.

I've read half of "Open Secrets" by Richard Lischer. It's really good. It's kind of like "Blue Like Jazz" except for people that aren't from Portland. Not really, but It kind of made me laugh to think about that. It's a really well-written book and It gets down to nuts-and-bolts Christianity. It is the anti-thesis of any "movement," Pop-influenced thing, hip, or what have you that circulates today in Christianity. It is flesh and bones, people who live and die in the faith. It is life without the gloss, a glimpse of our other brother and sisters who don't happen to fall into the 20-30, post-college, pre-family category. As the author said, "This was not a novel experience for me but an alien world. I might as well have been touring Nepal as motoring though the dead cornfields of southern Illinois."

No comments:

Post a Comment