Monday, July 27, 2009

Why I am now a Lutheran.

We remembered the the Hayes family in our prayers this morning in Chapel. Nate Hayes, the infant son of Jerry Hayes who graduated from the Seminary last year, died of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome Friday night.

What do you say to the family in this situation? What comfort can you give? Here is a paraphrase of the prayer in chapel.

"Almighty Father, we thank you for the mercies that you provided Nate in his short life here on earth. We rejoice that you saved him though the waters of Holy Baptism and that He is now with you and with all the departed saints. Comfort the Hays family as they experience this great loss. Keep us steadfast in the faith until our final hour that we too may live eternally with you. Amen."

I'm sure that platitudes and well wishes are no comfort to the family compared to the concrete assurance of God's mercy reaching down through Baptism.

Death, you cannot end my gladness:
I am baptized into Christ!
When I die, I leave all sadness
To inherit paradise!
Though I lie in dust and ashes
Faith's assurance brightly flashes:
Baptism has the strength divine
To make life immortal mine.

There is nothing worth comparing
To this lifelong comfort sure!
Open-eyed my grave is staring:
Even there I'll sleep secure.
Though my flesh awaits its raising,
Still my soul continues praising:
I am baptized into Christ;
I'm a child of paradise!
- Erdmann Neumeister

No comments:

Post a Comment